Sunday, December 7, 2008

Meli Kalikimaka

OK so I hereby declare it officially winter in Md. Friday night our entire family gathered for dinner at the annual Farm Bureau Christmas dinner-entertainment provided by the Willets-including bad jokes, original poetry, puppets giving Christmas story and of course lots of carols. Then we come home and view my favorite seasonal movie-Christmas Vacation.
Sat afternoon, I find myself splitting and gathering wood for the fireplace and then our first snow begins to fall.
All of this made me think of the value of family. Every family has their differences and traditions. But it's not about everything looking perfect. it's not about everyone looking their best and the house being spotless. It is about time spent with one another.
Every family has a 'Clark Griswold' trying to make everything perfect. Every family has a teenage 'Audrey' trying so hard to be cool. Then there is the 'Uncle Lewis', who is just oblivious to others around him.-don't let him near your tree. And don't forget the elderly and cynical in-laws that notice that the "lights are not twinkling". And of course we can't leave out 'Cousin Eddie'.You know who he is in your family-we've all got one right?
What are you focused on this Christmas season? How do you deal with 'the family'? Have a hap-hap happy Christmas season.

1 comment:

  1. Haha. Ok is it great minds think alike...that as the title of my post ha. I think we all have different "characters" in our family, and at times we change our characters depending on the situation. Being with my fam, thats important to me. So what if the tree catches fire...well, hope not but it would make for a great story.

    ReplyDelete